All Teen Ensemble Members participate in a professional workshop environment taught by Lisa Formosa-Parmigiano, Director of Education. Going above and beyond what is offered in high school drama classes, the year culminates in the Annual Teen Festival, an integral part of our season. Plays chosen for the Festival offer age and experience appropriate roles, focusing on teen issues — identity, fitting in, being left behind, peer pressure, family, loss, depression, friendship, social media … Exploring relevant themes in a safe, creative environment encourages expression and helps develop tools to navigate through these years. Teens also get active in the community by sharing readings and performances at the local library, with scout troops, elderly residences and even outside, at Valpo Parks.
Advanced students are invited to become a Member of the Teen Ensemble, after exceptional work and several semesters of study. During the fall, work focuses on advanced character development, voice and movement, script analysis and ensemble development, along with choosing the performance pieces and potentially, developing original material. During the spring, we apply the skills learned while rehearsing for Festival performances, open to the public.
Signing up for these advanced classes requires an invitation from the Director of Education, a commitment to ensemble, and availability for both semesters. Due to the unusual circumstances, we will be gathering outside, under a tent, on our front lawn. When the weather changes, we will move our workshop into the main theater, spreading out and working from a safe, socially-distanced space. For those Ensemble Members that do not wish to participate in person at this time, we will share the session simultaneously, through Zoom. Hopefully, we will all be able to join in the work, in person, for the spring semester, in preparation of the 6th Annual Teen Festival.
- Invitations sent in mid-August via email
- Mandatory Information Sessions on WEDNESDAY, September 16 at 6:00 pm for level I members and at 7:30 pm for level II members.
- Classes from September 23 to December 16, 2020
- showcase Staged Reading on December 16, 2020
- Classes from FEBRUARY 10 to MAY 20, 2021 (we begin two weeks PRIOR to the regular semester)
- Tech Rehearsals: WEDNESDAYS, APRIL 28 (5-8 pm), WEDNESDAY, May 5, 12 & 19 (5-8 pm)
- Performances: Friday, May 21 at 7:00 pm
- Saturday, May 22 at 7:00 pm – SCHOOL-WIDE RECOGNITION CEREMONY FROM 4-5:00 PM
- Sunday, May 23 at 2:30 pm