Children's Theatre Works & Resident Ensemble Project
Chicago Street Theatre is committed to education. Since 1994, we have offered young artists a comfortable, safe environment for exploring their creative side, both on stage and behind the scenes. In 2008, Lisa Formosa-Parmigiano joined CST as the Director of Education in an effort to expand and professionalize our offerings. Lisa earned an M.F.A. from the Actors Studio Drama School in NYC, and she currently also teaches at Columbia College-Chicago. Learn about Lisa's teaching philosophy.
The inherent philosphy of Children's Theatre Works is to provide a hands-on experience where students learn by doing, not by lecture. Read Testimonials about our program. Resident Ensemble Project offers affordable, flexible workshops for adult artists.
We offer a comprehensive and unique curriculum, where students are provided with the consistency of an entire program through which they can progress and advance, not occasional classes with a variety of instructors. Professional and experienced faculty, veteran artists, and an ensemble-based community atmosphere enhance their experience. Through our Mentorship Program, students Apprentice and volunteer, learning practical skills, leadership, and confidence behind the scenes. We encourage a complete understanding and appreciation of live theatre. It’s also a lot of fun.
Our classroom focuses on the importance of creative expression and collaboration, while teaching the fundamentals of theatre through structured play. Classes not only enhance performance skills, but also develop concentration, self-esteem, discipline, and basic problem solving. We have offerings for ages 5-18. All semester sessions end with a Showcase and Certificate Ceremony.
Fall & Spring Semesters
If you have questions, would like to register in person, want to see the facilities or are uncertain about which class is right, please feel free to stop by our FALL OPEN HOUSE on SATURDAY, AUGUST 25 anytime between 1-3pm.
Our Fall Semester will begin September 10 and run 13 weeks, through December 14, 2018. The Showcase Week with Certificate Ceremony will be December 10-13, with performances during our regularly-scheduled class times.
A mandatory Orientation for NEW Fall Students will be held WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, from 6:30-7:00 pm. At least one parent/guardian needs to attend with the registered student.
Our Winter Camps run four weeks, beginning in January. They are going to focus on Improvisation.
Our Spring Semester will begin on February 11 and run 13 weeks, through May 17, 2019. The Showcase Week with Certificate Ceremony will be May 13-16, with performances during our regularly-scheduled class times. Our SPRING OPEN HOUSE is scheduled for SATURDAY, JANUARY 2 anytime between 1-3pm.
Before you register your child/teen, please double-check all dates involved, including the very important PERFORMANCES for our Showcase Week. We understand conflicts will occasionally cause absences however, if there are more than two missed sessions, (particularly during the final three weeks of the semester), the student may not be permitted to perform, as their continued absences adversely impact the progress of all students.
- Anyone may enroll for an age-appropriate class or camp. There are no auditions necessary.
- Advanced sessions are for those students who have attended at least one semester, have the recommendation of their Instructor and, final approval from the Director of Education. The Teen Ensemble is by invitation only.
- Open registration for our Fall Semester will begin Wednesday, August 7, 2018.
- Open registration for our Spring Semester & Winter Camps will begin Monday, November 5, 2018.
- Fall & Full-Year registrations need to be received by Friday, September 7, 2018.
- Winter Camp registrations need to be received by Friday, January 4, 2019.
- Spring registrations need to be received by Friday, February 1, 2019.
- Registrations after these established deadlines will be assessed a $10 Late Fee and only guaranteed if there is space available.
- A completed registration form (either on-line OR hard copy) and current 2018-19 signed Refund Policy/Medical Release is necessary for ALL students. These forms are renewed at the beginning of each fall semester and remain on file and current through the end of summer, 2019.
- All classes have a minimum enrollment of 8 and a maximum enrollment of 12, with the exception of the Teen Ensemble.
- Seats are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If enrollment for a particular class fills, we will create a "waiting list" and notify you if there is a cancellation.
Tuition and Payment Information
- Tuition for each semester is $175 and includes a Student Membership and Children's Theatre Works T-Shirt.
- Our affordable Semester Payment Plan requires a $100 deposit at the time of registration, before September 7, 2018. The remaining balance ($75), is due October 15. Payment made after this date will be assessed a $10 Late Fee.
- Full-Year Tuition for BOTH the Fall & Spring Semesters is $325, with a $25 discount and includes a Student Membership and one Children's Theatre Works T-Shirt distributed at the beginning of the Fall Semester. Class schedules remain the same for both the Fall & Spring semesters.
- Our affordable Yearly Payment Plan requires a $125 deposit at the time of registration, before September 7, 2018. The remaining yearly balance ($200) is due in two installments: November 15, 2018 & April 15, 2019. Payments made after these dates will be assessed a $10 late fee.
- Tuition for the Winter Camps are either $75 or $95 and include a Student Membership.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration in order to guarantee enrollment. If you fill out an on-line registration form, but do not process payment within 24-hours, your child/teen's enrollment is NOT guaranteed. Seats in classes are not held without payment.
- We accept cash, personal check, Mastercard & Visa. All credit card payments carry a $3 Service Fee.
- There is no discount or prorated tuition for late enrollment.
- If a class is canceled due to any weather conditions, every effort will be made to schedule a make-up session, however, no prorated refund will be issued.
- Second Child - $10 off the tuition of the second (or third, or fourth….) child enrolled.
- Semester & Camp - 15% discount off Fall Semester + Advanced Improv Camp.
- "Parents in the Wings" - should you choose to volunteer and assist with any production aspect of the theatre (excluding acting), we will bank your hours and deduct between 5%-20% of the total tuition, based on your involvement throughout the semester. A detailed explanation will be given at the mandatory Orientation session.
- Explore our course offerings to find the class that's right for your child/teen.
- Fill out the online Registration Form.
- If you do not want to register online, print a Registration Form.
- Please print and complete the Refund Policy/Medical Release Form and bring it to the Orientation or first class session.
- Submit payment:
- Use our secure online box office by clicking here. A Service Fee of $3 applies to all on-line payments, including payment plans.
- Walk-in during the box office hours, Tuesday-Saturday, Noon to 4pm with completed registration form AND signed Refund Policy/Medical Release;
- Mail forms & check to Chicago Street Theatre, ATTN: CTW Registration, 154 West Chicago Street, Valparaiso, IN 46383.
- Please direct all questions to our Director of Education, Lisa Formosa-Parmigiano, via email.
- Once your registration is received, a confirmation email will be sent with a direct link for payment. You must complete the payment step in order to complete the registration process. Your child/teen is NOT confirmed until payment is made.
- © CST, 2008